Monday 25 September 2017

Beauty and the Beach

I'm lucky enough in London to live within walking distance of a fair few libraries, and I've spent many a happy weekend lost in the stacks of the fashion and costume sections.  

I'm just finished reading the excellent Vintage Swimwear: A History of Twentieth-Century Fashions by Sarah Kennedy and well, I loved this book!  From the pretty much fully clothed bathers of the 19th century to the scandalous 'topless' bikinis of the 70s and the cut-away hilarities of our modern beaches, it's all in here...



When I wasn't luxuriating in the fabulous swimsuits of Chanel, Patou and Jantzen, I started to think about what patterns from my collection might be good for the beach...wanna see what I found?


This beaut of a 1950s pattern just screams "See ya, I'm off to the beach!" (Though I think they're actually stood on a dock...), although I can't help but think that the lady in the white top is just super proud of her very wide pockets.


Playsuits! Very big hats! Gigantic earrings even on the beach!  It can only be the fabulous 50s again, and aren't they just divine?



Couldn't resist one more gorgeous pattern from the 50s, although I think this must be a very cold beach to need such substantial cover-ups!  Extra points to this pattern though for finely illustrated starfish and other rock creatures...


A cheeky stunner from the late 60s, back when The Sunday People produced patterns & each one only cost 25p to order!  I love the innovative front-tie fastening of the bikini top & those sexy high-waisted shorts to ensure absolutely no belly-button reveal!


Ah now we must be in the 70s, as everyone on this pattern has their belly button on show!  However, note how they are all classily provided with a choice of kaftan-style cover up should those itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny bikinis seem a little too brief!


Moving on finally to the lovely 80s, when you could always count on the European company Burda to provide the most exciting pattern illustrations - check out those cute beach umbrellas!  I'm also enjoying the sailor-style collars and those matching espadrilles.

So tell me, what do you wear to the beach?


I was the only swimmer in movies. Tarzan was long gone, and he couldn't have done them anyway; he could never have gotten into my bathing suit.
Esther Williams (1921 - 2013)


No comments: