Monday 7 March 2016

Colour Me Wild

I've always had a bit of a thing for bright colours, take for example, this pretty picture of me as a wee frockdolly, resplendent in my favourite Hawaiian frock, accessorised with even more colours (because yes, it so needed that) in the form of a floral lei:


Oh, how I loved that frock!  And the bracelet, if I remember right, was made up of teeny tiny green & orange pineapples, there's a definite tropical feel to my styling here...

Of course, as I got older, I was in charge of putting together my own outfits, with predictably colourful results.  Take this picture, of a slighter older frockdolly, off to some occasion or other in her brightest garb:



My older brother looks slightly alarmed by it all, my younger brother...well, he looks like a marionette, not sure what's going on there.  Incidentally, those are purple suede Kickers, and yes, they were awesome!  And also yes, my bag does match my socks, something which I felt was very important at age 12 (and still occasionally do now).

Now I'm all grown up (at least physically), I still love my bright colours, as evidenced by my recent projects; a brightly coloured surround for my nasty cheap clock and a few more rows on the EPIC stripy Kaffe Fassett inspired wrap:




I imagine myself at some point in the future, wrapped in glorious colour, gleefully clashing with the sofa (a rather tame denim blue), but toasty warm in the most vibrant way.  For now, at least, I get to admire my clock on the wall, and no longer have to listen to it ticking away, in a slightly accusatory manner, from the back of the sofa where it had been waiting for its cover for so very long!

I like bright colours in all my crafting, which has left me with a huge amount of scraps of felt,(from last Christmas' layered star baubles) & fabric (from two adorable firework costumes last autumn), and as for the buttons, well I just seem to collect those:




One day, I'll find a project to combine all of these!  Until then, I'll just use them as inspiration to get me through these last grey winter weeks, one tiny rainbow piece at a time.


1 comment:

Phisqui said...

Love your writing - so joyful! I had purple Kickers shoes, but not suede ones. What an fabulous way to quieten the tick. I can't stand ticking clocks, they drive me crazy! If you ever start selling or taking commissions I'll be first in line! Xx