Friday 6 March 2009

My Kind of Girl...


Oh Barbie, with your tiny feet and impossible proportions, I don't care that if you were real you would fall over, or that your perma-blonde hair and twinkly blue eyes might not be the best stereotype for young girls to have around (actually, no, that would be Bratz, brrrr), I just know that you're my little plastic friend, and more importantly, I want your clothes! And aside from wanting to wear them all, I want to make them into art projects! Possibly...

Now you see, I've gone and gotten myself distracted by looking for perfect illustrative Barbie pics and instead finding all sorts of other things, like the fact that the original ad for Peaches & Cream Barbie (yes, thats her up there - I hope you're looking after her Anthony!) is on youtube, don't make me post the link as that'll mean going back there, and half the reason I got distracted was the HUGE list of 'related videos' which were all divine 80s Barbie adverts *sigh* However, I will give you this, the first ever advert for Barbie, back when, admittedly, the living doll's career options were limited to...erm...dressing pretty and getting married...

But anywaaaaay, Barbie's come a long way since then; she's been an astronaut, run for president, and my personal favourites (mainly through receiving them as an entirely unexpected Christmas present last year), been transformed into, amongst other DC comic book characters, Batgirl and Black Canary. She's even, and see how this ties neatly into my previous post (I am SO getting the hang of this blog thing!), been Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra.

Oh, I can't possibly fit all I want to say about Barbie into one post, so until the next time (and there will be a next time), go here and try not to spend as much time cooing at the screen as I may well have done in the past...


You know you've made it when you've been moulded in miniature plastic. But you know what children do with Barbie dolls - it's a bit scary, actually.
Cate Blanchett

No comments: