Monday 23 February 2009

Reasons for Sequins



Hello and welcome to my blog!

My mother always said I was born in a dressing up box, and I spent my formative years costuming myself and my little brother as gypsy women, historical figures and (rather more obscurely) 1980s tennis players for the entertainment of family and friends (at some point, there will be pictures, sorry little bro! But thanks for being such a great mannequin...)

I've spent the last 10 years working with (and frequently IN) costume, and I've seen so many wonderful things that I just have to share with fellow frock obsessives. I want this to be an online bedazzled tour and sequinned wild ride through the world of costume and fashion; there will be frocks a-plenty, quite a bit of knitting, probably some shoes, and really just a whole lot of fabric, fashion and utter fabulousness, this I promise you gentle readers.

I owe a great debt to the marvellous Erin McKean and her blog, plus the lovely ladies at gofugyourself.com, who have inspired me with their tales of delightful dresses and dreadful frock-ups, and convinced me there is a place for costume on the web, not just in my over-stuffed wardrobe. Ladies, I really hope I can do you proud! My thanks also to my employers of a few years back, for whom I spent my time dreaming up ways to improve our website, most of which were ignored or rejected, thus leaving me free to use them here - my time spent as a costume wage-slave will not be wasted!

So please, keep your hands inside the be-ribboned car, hold on tight to your corset laces, and make sure you tip your waitress, because she needs that pair of Irregular Choice green metallic snakeskin shoes with the wedge heel and the silver rosette...


Now thats me up above, take a moment to admire the charming way (at age 4 no less) that I have paired my mum's best garden party hat, her black velour evening top, her dove grey suede peep toe stilettoes (oh how I loved those shoes! I wish I knew where they were now...), with a single Christmas bauble worn on one ear - money just can't buy that kind of styling...

Bring on the frocks!

FD xx


I like to be really dressed up or really undressed. I don’t bother with anything in between
Marilyn Monroe

No comments: